Become our fan on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Tune in on YouTube
crazy patchwork cushion
Crazy Patchwork Cushion
The Victorians loved to show off their embroidery skills by embellishing crazy patchwork. This piece for the 21st Century has been stitched using the new Anchor Stranded Multicolor, Anchor Lamé and Anchor Astrella.
Anchor Stranded Multicolor
: 1 skein each of Flame 1315, Blue Hawaii 1345, Sunrise 1305 and Mountain Stream 1355
1 skein of Gold
1 skein of Gold
Anchor Embroidery needle
: No. 5
An assortment of pieces of co-ordinating fabric for the outer border and back of cushion.
20 x 20cm piece of muslin for foundation backing
The chart will give you a guide for the placement of fabric patches. It has been numbered in the sequence in which they are placed onto the Muslin foundation. All patches need to be cut with an added seam allowance of at least 2 cm all round.
1) Trace the design onto the muslin foundation fabric. (Use a light box or tape it to the window).
2) Cut a patch large enough to cover Area 1 plus a seam allowance. Place this patch onto the foundation and pin in place.
3) Take patch 2; fold over the seam allowance along one long edge and press. This edge is laid over the raw edge of the patch below. Pin in place.
4) Continue to build up the design in this way until the patchwork covers the foundation fabric.
5) Tack each piece and remove pins.
how to work the embroidery
Using 3 strands of Flame 1315 Stranded Multicolor, stitch along each folded edge with Feather Stitch. For added texture, some of the patches have been embroidered with seed stitch in varying sizes using different combinations of threads.
Thread Combinations for each patch:
1) 1 strand of Lamé.
2) Anchor Astrella
3) 2 strands of Blue Hawaii
4) 1 strand of Lamé and 1 strand of Mountain Stream 1355 threaded in the needle together
5) Anchor Astrella
6) 1 strand of Lamé and 1 strand of Sunrise 1305 threaded in the needle together.
7) A random mixture of stitches using either 2 strands of Blue Hawaii 1345 or 1 strand of Lamé
All the patches could be embellished for a really rich cushion. With a little imagination, you can create a unique piece of work!
Trim patchwork to 20 x 20cm
From the fat quarter of fabric, cut 2 strips of 8 x 20cm and
2 strips of 8 x 33.5 cm
Add strips of fabric to the edges of the patchwork to enlarge it to the required size.
Cut a piece of backing fabric the same size as the cushion front. With right sides together stitch around 3 sides – 1.5cm from the edge.
Turn inside out and insert the cushion pad. Turn in the open edges and slip stitch them together.
Tips on searching projects.
Search projects by related types
Tips on searching for brands.
Tips on searching for products.
Rowan Patchwork & Quilting Fabrics
Free Spirit patchwork quilt
Calico Cats Cushion
Darla star patchwork quilt